Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Second Bite of the Cherry

I never actually planned to stop writing altogether, you see. I remember some years ago reading Henry David Thoreau's saying (which you can see on the top right of this blog) & thinking that 'Hey, let's take a little break here & figure out if you've really stood up to live', as Henry suggests. Turned out I took a  long time to get back to my figurative feet, & in the middle of that I forgot about writing altogether. It wasn't until a couple of months ago when I came across Pramoedya Ananta Toer's saying that I'm reminded about this blog again. In essence, he said that 'Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat & sejarah'. Ouch. Funny how my life decisions are driven by quotes from people I'm not even familiar with, but there you go.

I'm thankful for the second chance in life, the second bite of the cherry that's been presented to me in recent times. I've not particularly been a well-behaved kid, so to know that Allah does listen to my prayers is a humbling experience indeed. 

"To all those struggling & failing again & again, I tell you what I tell myself; today is a new day. Don't give up. Hajar didn't stop trying. Maybe today will be the day you finally get there, the day the 'impossible' happens. Maybe today will be the day water springs forth from the desert." - Yasmin Mogahed

Here's to life's second chance!

No comments: