Saturday, January 21, 2012

Enter the (Year of the) Dragon

It's the Chinese New Year long weekend, which means an extended break at home - more free time & a chance to say hi & check the dust that's been gathering on this blog. The Chinese are ushering in the Year of the Dragon, which was also the year I was born 24 years ago. I actually found myself giddy with excitement!

I am an admirer of the Chinese, because of their hardworking nature & amazing ability to sniff opportunities & stamp their mark at every little corner of the world that they live in. Many do not know (though maybe they'd guessed), but I'm actually half-Chinese. My mom was born a Chinese but grew up in a Malay family. She never met her biological parents. We never talked about this at home after mom told us about it for the first time, but deep down I actually am quite proud of this fact. For a start, I'd like to think that the good brain that I'm blessed with (alhamdulillah) is a result of this mixed gene. Then there's also my look, which has a Chinese trace. In fact, 9 out 10 people who met me for the first time would assume that I'm a Chinese. One of my biggest joy is looking at their priceless expression upon learning about my identity (Malay, by constitution at least) - often this after a long conversation during which I gave no hints of my Malay-ness.

(I actually used to hate it when people asked why I look Chinese - but this before I learnt about my mom's story. Now I'm totally at ease - in fact I take pride when people are confused with my identity).

I wish I had learnt Mandarin though, that would allow me to do a total penyamaran of identity! But all in all, I'm thankful for my origin, for it also allows me to see people through clear prism without judgments for their ethnicity.

I'd like to wish Happy New Year to all my Chinese friends wherever you are! May the Year of the Dragon bring joy & bounty to you as we strive to make ourselves better persons & this country a better place.

1 comment:

grand piss said...

We demand more writing from you.