Monday, February 16, 2009

Twenty-One

I turned 21 last Saturday. Alhamdulillah.

Time is a strange thing, you see. I feel that it was not long ago that I wrote a piece here for my 20th birthday. All those things that I had been doing for the past two, three years did not seem like a distant memory. Over the years, there were dreams that were planted but soon forgotten. As my birthday arrives every year, I cannot help but look back regretfully at all those things behind me, the could haves and should haves, all the empty promises and moments when I lost focus on life’s true motives.

Despite all that, I am grateful for being given this opportunity to breathe my life into its 21 years of age, and to be constantly rewarded with good health and beautiful bounties. I know I have not been the best of servant, so to be given all these blessings is indeed gracious of Him. I shall strive to improve myself every single moment of everyday out of appreciation for all these.

People say that 21 is a big number, that it signals the start of adulthood. It marks the moment when you begin to spread your wings out wide for you now have total freedom to control your own destiny, so say a friend. I do not know about you, but I certainly do not see anything glitzy about turning 21. At any rate, it is just a reminder of another year gone by and of the added pressure and bigger burden that need to be shouldered as people get older, the thought of which is actually scary.

Thanks to all you guys who had given me fervent wishes, no words can describe my appreciation. Sorry if I have not been too kind any of you, or if you feel that I have downgraded myself as a friend or family member of yours. Having you guys around is indeed one of the best things that could happen to me, though I seldom say so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hepi bday dowh!!
oit..lama giler kaw cuti..jeles aku,,ceit

caliphkaai said...

happy birthday!
sorry lmbt wish, aku bukan org yg boleh menghafal tarikh...

May He bless you!

Muhammad Za'im Mohamad Yusoff said...

salam

hoping that there is a linear relationship between our deeds and our age insyaAllah =)